STAR: State Teacher/Artist Residency
a cooperative program of the Florida Alliance for Arts Education and
The State of Florida is filled with talented, dedicated artists who are also talented and dedicated, certified full time public school teachers. The lives of these particular people are spent trying to balance the challenge of expressing their artistic selves while pursuing their profession as a public school educator.
The STAR program is designed to honor and nourish the artist in the educator by providing five public school educators from Florida with the opportunity to pursue their artistic work in the inspiring environment of the prestigious Hermitage Artist Retreat.
A Hermitage residency is a gift of time and space for artists to attend to their work. There is no requirement to produce. It is intensely personal time for concentration AND a community of artists from different disciplines with which to share and learn. Artists invited seize the opportunity and find themselves more productive than at any other time in their creative lives.
- Full-time arts teacher in Florida Public School (e.g. creative writing, dance, music, theatre, visual art) Note: charter schools only eligible if managed by school district (eg control over curriculum, admissions)
- Artistic quality of work
- FAAE Member (individual, school or district) - current district members include Duval, Lee & Hillsborough
The Hermitage Artist Retreat:
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is a not-for-profit artist community on 8.5 beachfront acres on Manasota Key in Englewood, FL. Its five historic buildings have been lovingly and expertly restored and adapted into living space and studio space for writers, painters, poets, playwrights, sculptors, composers, and other primary creators. In five short years, the Hermitage has become one of the premiere artist communities in America. Our artists are Pulitzer winners, MacArthur winners, Guggenheim winners and NEA winners. They are among America’s more influential and creative artists.
- Application opens: March 10
- Deadline for submission: April 14
- Announce Recipients: May 16
- STAR Residency: July 5-17
- Welcome Dinner for STARs: July 5
- General Public Evening with the STARS Event: July 15
Please join with us in congratulating the 2021 recipients
Kissimmee Middle School, Osceola County
Gainesville High School, Alachua County
J.M. Tate Senior High School, Escambia County
Bellalago Academy, Osceola County
Port Salerno Elementary, Martin County